recipe added: 01.01.2008
(indian cottage cheese)
|4 ||L ||whole milk|
|2-3 ||tbsp ||lemon juice or vinegar|
- Bring the milk to the boil.
- Add the lemon juice, stirring until curds start forming and rise to the top.
- Turn off heat and let stand for about 5 min.
- Decant through cheesecloth (muslin) which is supported by a colander.
- The whey can be saved and used for soups, sauces, rice or dough-making, but i've never used a recipe yet that calls for whey.
- Gather and twist the ends of the cloth to form a pouch, squeezing as much whey out of the curds as possible.
- Hang the pouch from the kitchen tap for about 30 min.
- Compress between a cutting board and heavy item to shape the cheese into a patty.
- If a recipe calls for crumbled paneer, use as is without compressing.
- Leave to compress for about 2 hrs.
- Use in recipes, eat on it's own, or freeze for later (will last up to a month).